Get ready to spice things up!
This healthy Jalapeno Sweet Potato Soup is a simple, nourishing soup with a spicy twist. Thickened with sweet potatoes and spiced up with jalapenos, this soup will warm your soul! Perfectly paired with your favorite gluten-free bread for a hearty cold weather meal.
Jalapeno Sweet Potato Soup
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth, I use homemade bone broth
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried cayenne pepper or 1 fresh jalapeno, stem and seeds removed
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Grapeseed oil
*Time Savor Tip: Prepare the sweet potatoes ahead of time by roasting in the oven on the weekend. Store in the fridge and they’ll be ready for a quick weeknight meal.
- In a large pot, saute onion in oil just until tender. Add garlic and cook just a couple minutes longer
- Add sweet potatoes, chicken broth, cumin, jalapeno, salt and pepper
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20-30 minutes
- Use a potato masher or immersion blender to mash the potatoes
- Stir well and let simmer for another 20 minutes
- Adjust salt and pepper if needed and add additional chicken broth if desired.