We’re getting prepared to fight cold and flu season NATURALLY and elderberries are powerful! My husband calls this Elderberry Syrup my “magic potion”….we have four kids in two different schools and they haven’t had one sick day yet this school year (knock on wood!!). Those that know us well, know this is not typical for us!
This time last year, we were sick, really sick. I mean for months straight. We had everything from bronchitis to the stomach flu, tonsilitis, pink eye and everything in between. I was determined in 2017 to take control of our health. So now, even when they do get a little cold, the duration is shortened and we are empowered to prevent it from getting worse. Read more about the power of elderberries here.
I used to buy elderberry syrup from a health food store, but it was expensive for a very small bottle. It also didn’t really work as I had hoped. When I thought about it, I wondered how long the bottle was sitting on the shelf, and I knew fresh was the way to go.
Along with Elderberries immune boosting benefits and medicinal properties, herbs like ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and raw honey give an extra boost!
Immune Boosting Elderberry Syrup
- 3/4 cup dried organic elderberries (DO NOT consume raw berries)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves or 4 whole cloves
- 1 cup raw local honey
- In a medium size pot, bring the elderberries, water, cinnamon, cloves and ginger to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half, about 1 hour
- Allow the liquid to cool, mash the berries using a spoon or flat utensil, then drain through a fine mesh strainer
- Press all the liquid out of the berries using the back of a spoon then discard berries
- Add the raw honey and mix well
- Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months
- Take 1/2 tsp-1 tsp once a day for kids. Adults 2 tsp once a day. If cold symptoms appear, repeat the dose every few hours.
Essential Oil Option:
- Add only the Elderberries and water to your pot and follow the previous directions up until step 4.
- Grab your 1 cup of honey and stir in 3 drops doTERRA cinnamon, 3 drops doTERRA clove, and 3 drops doTERRA ginger.
- Add the honey mixture to your cooled and strained elderberry juice. Stir well.