Let’s talk about granola bars! When was the last time you took a look at the ingredients of your favorite “healthy” bar? Most are filled with a ton of sugar, especially those geared towards kids. Then there are some higher quality options, but the price is outrageous per bar. I can’t even tell you how much we spend on bars each week for a family of six! So, I’m going on strike and made my own!
I’ve also been on the hunt for grain free options since the majority of packaged granola bars contain oats. After researching a lot about oats and Celiac Disease, I made the decision that it would be safer for our daughter if we eliminated them from her diet. If you have Celiac Disease and choose to include oats in your diet, make sure they are grown using the purity protocol. Read more about that here.
I scoured the internet looking for inspiration ultimately becoming discouraged because we didn’t have all of the ingredients needed for the recipes I came across. So I grabbed whatever I had in the pantry and came up with these!
Easy Grain-Free Granola Bars
- 1/2 cup pepitas*
- 1/2 cup cashews*
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts*
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips, optional
- Line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper
- Pulse your choice of nuts/seeds in a food processor until they’re in small pieces. (My kids don’t like big chunks of nuts in their bars!)
- Pour into a medium sized bowl and add the coconut, cinnamon, salt and chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a small pan over low heat, stir the nut butter, honey and coconut oil until melted. Add the vanilla extract and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine.
- Spoon into your prepared pan. Using an extra piece of parchment paper, press down to flatten the bars.
- Place in the fridge or freezer until hardened then cut into bars.