Nuggets are the perfect finger food for kids and adults alike! Especially when they’re loaded with veggies!! I found this recipe over the weekend as I was looking in my recipe box searching for inspiration to plan meals for the week.
It was ripped out of a magazine and crumbled amongst other recipes that looked like they had been in there for years. I decided that it must’ve been in there since before my daughter was diagnosed with Celiac six years ago because it used wheat breadcrumbs and included cheese in the recipe too. I adapted it by subbing the breadcrumbs for a gluten free version and omitted the cheese.
They turned out so great- surprisingly crispy for being baked, and the sweet potatoes gave them a cheese-like consistancy. It’s a fun recipe and a great way to enjoy your veggies!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked until very tender and peeled
- 8oz frozen cauliflower, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 box(10oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 eggs, divided
- 2 1/2 cups GF panko bread crumbs(we used 4C Breadcrumbs), divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- ketchup, BBQ or honey mustard sauce(pictured-see below for the recipe) for dipping
- Preheat oven to 450° and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a food processor, pulse cauliflower and spinach until finely chopped
- In a large bowl, mash sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and spinach until well mixed
- Mix in 1 egg, 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs, salt, garlic powder and cayenne
- Beat remaining 3 eggs in a medium size bowl
- Place the remaining bread crumbs on a large plate. Season with some salt & pepper if you’re not using seasoned bread crumbs
- Form veggie mixture into 1 inch nuggets. Dip in egg and then in bread crumbs. Place finished nuggets on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, flipping once, for about 30 minutes.
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
Easy Honey Mustard Sauce
Mix all together and serve