There’s a new JAM happening over here! In just a few minutes (20 minutes at most!), you can make fresh blueberry jam that is naturally sweetened with honey and thickened with chia seeds.
Traditional jams and jellies contain a crazy amount of sugar, but not this one! It’s sweetened with only a small amount of honey. Plus, omega-3 rich chia seeds are substituted for the common thickening agent pectin.
Chia Seeds are small but mighty! They’re packed with fiber, protein, and iron along with many other nutrients & antioxidants. They can turn any liquid into a gel-like consistancy.
This jam is perfect on toast, pancakes, stirred into oatmeal and yogurt, or on a classic PB & J. You can enjoy every bite knowing that you are fueling your body with real food. Feel free to also try making this jam with different fruits of your choice!
Blueberry Chia Seed Jam
- 2 cups blueberries (1 pint)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- Combine chia seeds and water in a small bowl and let soak about 10 minutes until jelled.
- Meanwhile, add blueberries, honey and lemon juice to a small stove top pan and simmer over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Crush the blueberries with the back of a spoon while cooking.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds until well combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. As it cools, the jam will thicken considerably. It can also be frozen for up to six months.