This highly nutritious broth is so easy and inexpensive to make. Most of the time I don’t even follow a recipe, however I thought I’d share a basic recipe to get you going!
All you need is a large pot, water, vinegar, vegetables, and bones. Adding the vinegar is a very important step! It helps pull out all of the nutritents & minerals from the bones into the water. The result is a collagen rich and nutrient dense broth that gives your body what it needs to thrive. For extensive details on the benefits of bone broth for gut healing, joint health, healthy skin and boosting your immune system click here.
We cook chicken regularly so we save the leftover carcasses and bones in a freezer safe bag. This way, when I’m ready to make a batch of broth, it’s all ready to go. One of my favorite flavor enhancing tips is to use bones from your game day chicken wings! The flavor of the bones roasted in hot sauce gives the broth an extra kick without being spicy!
There is no limit to how you can add bone broth into your diet! It can be used for soups, chili, in place of water when cooking rice or quinoa, or just drink it straight like I do!
Homemade Bone Broth
- 2-4lbs grass-fed organic chicken bones
- 4 big carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- Salt to taste. Begin with 1 teaspoon then after it’s done cooking, add more if desired.
- 2 tbsp Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- Optional Fresh Herbs: Parsley, Rosemary, Oregano, Thyme. Add a few sprigs of each.
- Slow cooker or large stock pot
- Place all ingredients in a large stock pot or slow cooker.
- Fill with water(leaving enough room for a boil) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 24-48 hours. The longer it cooks, the more nutritious it will be.
- Allow to cool and strain into a large container.
- Discard solids. If using right away, I keep some of the carrots, onions, and celery to use for soup.
- Use within a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
If using raw bones, be sure to roast them first for optimal flavor.