This flavorful Sausage & Sage Stuffed Acorn Squash is one of my favorite seasonal meals. It’s easy enough for a cozy weeknight dinner, yet festive enough for your Thanksgiving table.
Roasted acorn squash is filled with a savory mixture of sausage & quinoa, sweetened with diced apples then spiced with the warming flavor of sage.
It’s a wonderful appetizer, side dish or an all in one meal! Feel free to switch up the quinoa for rice, or skip the grains altogether for a low carb, paleo meal.
Sausage & Sage Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2-3 acorn squash, halved. Seeds & strings removed.
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Brush the prepared acorn squash with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place the acorn squash on a baking sheet face down and roast for about 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet to medium heat with 1 tbsp oil. Crumble & brown sausage. Drain fat if necessary.
- Add onions, stirring often until translucent.
- Add quinoa to the pan and saute with the sausage and onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper & sage.
- Add 2 cups of liquid and bring to a boil. Stir well, then cover until quinoa is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and remove lid. Add diced celery and apples and mix well. Re-cover and let stand 5 minutes for the apples and celery to soften.
- Scoop stuffing into the acorn squash and serve immediately or keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
Make Ahead! Roast the acorn squash and prepare the filling. Store covered in the fridge(up to 3 days) until ready to serve. Cover and reheat in the oven.