Zuppa Toscana is classic soup recipe that you may have seen on the menu at the Olive Garden. Since the Olive Garden is a no-go restaurant for us due to Celiac Disease, we made our own! It’s a simple & comforting soup with huge flavor! Made with crumbled Italian sausage, tender potatoes, broth & healthy kale, you’ll have a hearty meal prepared in minutes.
There are many copycat recipes out there of this poular soup, but in our homemade verison we chose the simplest ingredients, and it’s naturally gluten free! Add in a little plant-based milk or coconut cream at the end for a delicious dairy-free option. I’ve included directions for both the instant pot and slow cooker, so no matter what cooking method you prefer, we’ve got you covered!
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup
- 1lb. Italian Sausage(If using links, remove casing or buy bulk ground sausage)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion diced, about 1 cup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 lbs. baby red potatoes cut into small chunks(I left the peels on)
- 6 cups broth(I make our own broth using this recipe for homemade bone broth)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt( more to taste)
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups packed kale, coursely chopped
- Optional : 1/2 cup unsweetened plant based milk or coconut cream
- Hit the saute button on the Instant Pot and add 1 tbsp oil & sausage.
- Break sausage into small pieces, stirring often until browned.
- Add onions and garlic stirring frequently so not to burn the garlic.
- Hit cancel(if the saute feature hasn’t turned off yet). Add the broth, potatoes and seasonings making sure there is enough broth to cover the potatoes.
- Place the lid on, close the valve to seal, and cook for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- Slow release pressure for another 5 minutes and then turn the valve to release the rest of the pressure.
- Once pressure is fully released, remove the lid and stir in the kale. If not serving immediately, stir in the kale when ready to serve.
- At this point you can add in your milk of choice to make the soup creamier or leave as is!
- Heat a large stovetop skillet over med/high heat and add 1 tbsp oil.
- Add the sausage and onions until the sausage is browned and onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, stirring constantly(garlic burns easily!) for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place sausage mixture into a crockpot long with the broth, potatoes and seasonings. Make sure potatoes are covered compeletely with broth.
- Cook on low 6-7 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Stir in kale when ready to serve and add in milk, if using.
Serve with a salad or gluten free baguette.
If you like some spice, use a mix of hot and mild sausage links or add some crushed red pepper flakes!