This Festive Peppermint Bark is a holiday favorite that's quick to make and naturally gluten-free! Layers of white and dark chocolate are topped with crushed candy canes, then broken into bite-sized pieces.
Homemade Peppermint Bark Recipe
Years ago, I saw Peppermint Bark being sold at stores for at least $20-$30 dollars a box....right then, I knew this was something that could easily be made at home! This festive chocolate candy is made with only 4 ingredients, it's quick to make, doesn't require any baking and can even be made weeks ahead.
How Do You Make Peppermint Bark?
This recipe is made with only 4 simple ingredients:
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. Or a dairy-free dark chocolate works well too.
- White chocolate chips
- Oil. Choose a neutral tasting oil like avocado or refined coconut oil.
- Candy Canes. Break them into small pieces and crumbs to sprinkle on top of the chocolate.
Melt your semi-sweet chocolate, then spread it onto a pan in a thin layer. Place the chocolate into the fridge to harden. Next, add a layer of melted white chocolate and top with crushed candy canes. The easiest way to crush the candy canes is to place it in a sealed Ziploc bag, then use a meat mallet or rolling pin to break it into small pieces. My kids LOVE doing this part!
Place the pan back in the fridge (or freezer to make it quicker!). After the finished layer hardens, break apart the bark into small pieces.
Can Peppermint Bark be Made Dairy-Free?
You can easily find dairy-free dark chocolate chips in any grocery store. This recipe has a "layered" option using a combination of both dark chocolate and white chocolate. Thankfully, Enjoy Life Foods created white chocolate baking chips that are not only gluten-free but also school safe, non-GMO, dairy-free, soy free and nut Free!
It's a Great Gift Idea!
I like to buy some cute gift tins and give it away to family, friends, neighbors and teachers for holiday gifts.
This Festive Peppermint Bark will bring holiday cheer to anyone that tastes it!
Let's get started!
Festive Peppermint Bark
- 10-12 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips Enjoy Life Foods or Nestle Allergen Free for Dairy Free
- 10-12 oz White Chocolate Chips Use Nestle Allergen Free for Dairy Free
- 4 teaspoon Coconut Oil separated
- 1 package Candy Canes crushed; I use Yum Earth
- Line the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan, or you can also use a flat baking sheet, with foil or parchment paper, smoothing out any wrinkles the best you can.
- Using a double boiler, melt the semi-sweet chocolate and 2 teaspoon coconut oil. You can also use a microwave, however chocolate overheats fast so be sure to melt in 15 second intervals and stir well after each time.
- Pour melted chocolate into the prepared pan, spreading into a thin, smooth layer with a spatula.
- Refrigerate or freeze about 20-30minutes until the chocolate is hardened.
- Meanwhile, melt the white chocolate with another 2 teaspoons of oil.
- Once the semi-sweet chocolate is set, remove from fridge and poor the second batch of white chocolate on top, spreading quickly into a smooth layer on top of the first layer.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes evenly across the chocolate and press them slightly into the chocolate.
- Refrigerate the bark until completely hardened. Once hardened, remove from pan and break into small pieces. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.