In just a few minutes (20 minutes at most!), you can make a homemade jam from fresh berries that is naturally sweetened with honey and thickened with chia seeds.
Traditional jams and jellies contain a crazy amount of sugar, but not this one–It’s sweetened with only a touch of honey! Plus, omega-3 rich chia seeds are substituted for the common thickening agent pectin.
Chia Seeds are small but mighty! They’re packed with fiber, protein, and iron along with many other nutrients & antioxidants. They can turn any liquid into a gel-like consistancy.
This jam is perfect on toast, pancakes, stirred into oatmeal and yogurt, or on a classic PB & J. Try making it with different berries of your choice!
Chia Seed Jam
- 2 cups berries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- Combine chia seeds and water in a small bowl and let soak about 10 minutes until jelled.
- Meanwhile, add berries, honey and lemon juice to a small stove top pan and simmer over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Crush the berries with the back of a spoon while cooking.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds until well combined.
- At this point, you can either leave the jam chunky or blend. I personally use a handheld immersion blender to smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. As it cools, the jam will thicken considerably. It can also be frozen for up to six months.