In just a few minutes (20 minutes at most!), you can make a homemade jam from fresh berries that is naturally sweetened and thickened with chia seeds.
Homemade Chia Seed Jam
Chia Seeds are small but mighty! They're packed with fiber, protein, and iron along with many other nutrients & antioxidants. They can turn any liquid into a gel-like consistancy.
Traditional jams and jellies contain a crazy amount of sugar, but not this one--It's sweetened by the fresh berries and a touch of pure maple syrup or honey! Plus, omega-3 rich chia seeds are substituted for the common thickening agent pectin.
Here's what you'll need to make this easy, homemade jam recipe:
- Fresh Berries. Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries or blackberries all work! You can even try a mixed berry jam.
- Chia Seeds
- Lemon Juice
- Pure Maple Syrup or Honey(optional)
Serving Suggestions for this Chia Seed Jam Recipe
This jam is so versatile and tempting to eat right off the spoon!
It's delicious on:
- Toast or crackers
- Topped on pancakes or waffles
- Stirred into oatmeal and yogurt
- Kids will love it on a classic PB & J
Try making it with different berries of your choice depending on what fruit is in season at the time.
Have you tried this easy chia seed jam recipe? Be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Chia Seed Jam
- 2 cups Berries Raspberries, Blueberries, Strawberries, Blackberries
- 2 tablespoon Chia Seeds
- 4 tablespoon Water
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup or Honey optional
- Add berries, lemon juice, water and sweetener to a small stove top pan and bring to a simmer for 5-7 minutes until berries are cooked. Crush the berries with a fork or back of a spoon once softened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds until well combined.
- Mash berries more if needed. At this point, you can either leave the jam chunky or blend. I personally use a handheld immersion blender to smoothe.
- Let cool to thicken, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.