Chocolate Hummus? You heard that right! It may seem strange, but this Homemade Chocolate Hummus is a delicious healthy dip that's prepared in only minutes. This hummus recipe is a gluten free, dairy free & vegan treat that will cure all your chocolate cravings!
Homemade Chocolate Hummus Recipe
When my sister shared with me that she bought Brownie Batter Chocolate Hummus at the grocery store, I knew I had to try making my own homemade version! Making this hummus recipe from scratch is much more budget friendly and just so stinkin' easy!! You can also control the ingredients and customize it however you want based on your dietary needs.
It's a healthy and nutritious dip, dessert, appetizer or snack that everyone always loves, even the kids! Once I started making recipes with beans, where my kids couldn't actually see the beans, I knew this trick was gonna be something good!! My kids also love these Flourless Peppermint Black Bean Brownies and, to this day, have no clue they are made with beans!
What Ingredients do I need to make this Chocolate Hummus Recipe?
This dessert style hummus is so easy to make and ready in less than 10 minutes! It's gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and refined sugar free, so go ahead and treat yourself.
Here's what you'll need:
- Canned Chickpeas(Garbanzo beans). drained and rinsed well.
- Coconut Oil
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Peanut Butter. any nut butter works!
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pure Maple Syrup. not pancake syrup!
- Unsweetened Plant-Based Milk
- Sea Salt
How do you make Chocolate Hummus?
This recipe is honestly so easy that you will have it finished and serving it in less than 10 minutes! Here's what you need to do:
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas. Then add all of the ingredients to your food processor, starting with the wet ingredients first.
- Get the blending process started! You most likely will need to stop blending and scrape down the sides to make sure all ingredients are incorporated. The peanut butter tends to stick to the sides.
- Add more milk if necessary. Depending on your ingredients, you may need to add more milk to get the consistancy you're looking for. I recommend adding 1 tablespoon at a time to avoid adding too much.
How to Serve this Chocolate Hummus
Chocolate Hummus is more than just a dip...it tastes great served with fresh fruit, gluten-free pretzels, or graham crackers. Or, it can be used as a spread and slathered on toast for breakfast. A much healthier version of nutella!
Thin out the consistancy by adding some more milk and it would be a great alternative to icing!
I'm not ashamed to say that my kids will eat this hummus by the spoonful!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Homemade Chocolate Hummus
- Food Processor
- 1 can Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil softened
- 4 tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 tablespoon Peanut Butter almond butter or any other nut butter works well too
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 5 tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoon Plant-Based Milk unsweetened; you may need additional to reach desired consistency
- Drain chickpeas and rinse well.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor(wet ingredients at the bottom works best), and blend until smooth. Scrape down edges if neeeded then continue blending.
- If needed, add more milk by the tablespoon to receive your desired consistancy.
- Transfer the hummus to a serving dish and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.