This is the BEST Gluten-Free Chocolate Lava Cake recipe! These individual lava cakes are rich and decadent, with a cake-like outside and an irresistible gooey chocolate center. Although they look fancy, they're actually very quick and easy to make!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Lava Cakes
Ever in the mood for chocolate cake but don't want to make a huge chocolate cake? Or, are you only serving a few people and don't want to have lots of leftover cake sitting around? These individual chocolate lava cakes(aka molton lava cakes) are your answer!
What is lava cake?
Lava cakes are a mix between a classic chocolate cake recipe and a souffle with a gooey, molton center. They bake long enough for the outer layer to set, while the center remains soft.
Ingredients You'll Need to Make This Recipe
You only need a handful of pantry staples to make this gluten-free cake recipe, and you'll be eating a yummy dessert in less than 30 minutes. I bet you even have everything on hand in your kitchen right now!
Here's what you'll need:
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour. I used King Arthur Measure for Measure.
- Coconut Oil
- Chocolate Chips. Use Enjoy Life for a dairy-free lava cake.
You'll need four individual ramekins to make this recipe. Feel free to cut the recipe in half if you only want two cakes. If you don't have ramekins, you can make these lava cakes in muffin tins, although they will be smaller and the cooking time will vary
How to Make Gluten Free Chocolate Lava Cake
Start by whisking the eggs, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. Melt the chocolate chips with the coconut oil until smooth then pour the melted chocolate into the egg mixture.
Slowly whisk in the flour until you have a brownie batter consistancy. Pour the batter into greased ramekins. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes, but watch closely!
The egdes should be set and come out clean with a toothpick, but the center will still look soft (see my pic above when the cakes came out of the oven!) If the lava cakes bake too long, you won't have a gooey center!
Serve these warm lava cakes immediately with fresh berries, powdered sugar and/or ice cream. They're perfect for a a date night, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day or any special occasion that calls for a little chocolate!
If you want to make this recipe ahead of time, go ahead and whisk together the batter, pour in the ramekins then store covered with plastic wrap in the fridge overnight, or up to 2 days, until ready to bake. Bring to room temperature before baking.
If you try this gluten-free lava cake recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Lava Cake
- 4 Eggs
- ½ cup Sugar Sub coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 6 tablespoon GF Flour Mix I used King Arthur Measure for Measure
- 4 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips Use Enjoy Life for dairy-free
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease ramekins. Optional: sprinkle each greased ramekin with a little sugar and dust with cocoa powder.
- Whisk eggs, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a microwave safe bowl. 20-30 second intervals, stirring in between until smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate chips into the eggs mixture.
- Whisk in the flour until you have a brownie batter consistancy.
- Pour batter dividing evenly into the prepared ramekins. Bake for 10-12 minutes, watching closely not to overcook. The edges should be set and come out clean with a toothpick, but the centers will still look soft and gooey.
- Remove from the ramekins and serve immediately with fresh fruit, and/or ice cream.
Made this for the first time today. OMG it was the best!!
Thank you Susan!! So happy you enjoyed the recipe!
Omg - this is the best lava cake I’ve ever tried, gluten free or not. It took me two attempts to perfect, because I’ve never made lava cake and didn’t know that you needed to take it out of the ramekin right away so it doesn’t keep cooking. I’m absolutely obsessed and it even turned out well when I used Monk Fruit sweetener instead of regular sugar. Definitely recommend making this, it’s become my new favorite specialty dessert to make😊.
Thank you so much Katie! So happy to hear you loved the lava cakes!!