There are only a handful of vegetables that my kids won’t touch and zucchini happens to be one of them. Unless it’s baked into a sweet bread with chocolate chips, they want no parts of it. That was until now! They love the flavor and crispness of these fritters, and I love that they’re getting a good serving of veggies that they wouldn’t eat otherwise.
These fritters will be perfect when your summer garden is blooming and you have a bounty of zucchini! They’re super easy, delicious, and the perfect way to sneak in some extra veggies.
- 2 zucchinis, shredded
- 1/2 cup GF all purpose flour(I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh chives
- 2 tbsp avocado oil for sauteing
- Optional: 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
*I use avocado oil due to it’s high smoke point. Heating oils beyond their smoke point can generate toxic fumes and harmful free radicals. If you’re unsure of an oil’s smoke point, most labels on bottles of oil will give you the correct temperature.
- Wring the shredded zucchini dry in a clean dish towel or paper towels to drain.
- Place zucchini in a large bowl. Add garlic, salt, pepper, chives and eggs- Mix well.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- Drop tablespoons of the batter into the skillet, flattening lightly with a spatula.
- Heat until the edges are golden and crispy- about 3 minutes each side.
- Remove from the pan and transfer to paper towels to cool.
- Repeat the process, keeping a well oiled pan.
If not serving immediately, keep fritters on a baking sheet in the oven on warm.