Playdough can keep my kids busy (and quiet!) for HOURS, but there can be consequences with traditional “Play-doh” that most of us played with as kids. While it seems harmless, it can be dangerous to those with Celiac Disease or a wheat allergy, especially if it gets in the mouth.
According to a statement on the Hasbro website: “The exact ingredients of Play-Doh compound are proprietary, so we cannot share them with you. We can tell you that it is primarily a mixture of water, salt and flour. It does NOT contain peanuts, peanut oil, or any milk byproducts. It DOES contain wheat.”
In order to keep my celiac daughter safe, I’ve been making our own playdough for years. It’s really simple and quick to make your own at home! I also love adding essential oils for aromatherapy benefits. Some fun essential oils to add could include: Wild Orange, Peppermint, Lemon, Balance or Lavender.
Gluten Free Aromatherapy Playdough
- 1 cup of gluten-free flour or white rice flour
- 1 tablespoon of cream of tartar
- ½ cup of sea salt
- ½ cup of hot water
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 drops essential oil
- To add color, use food colored water in place of regular water or purchase natural decorating colors
- On medium-low heat combine all ingredients into a pan. Blend well until it forms a ball.
- Knead the essential oil into the ball.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Double the recipe to make more.
- To make it less sticky, add more flour.
- If it is too dry, add a little more water or oil.
- Natural colors can be easily made right at home. Click here for some great food coloring recipes.
Not interested in making homemade playdough? Check out Aroma Dough- Gluten Free Aromatherapy Dough