Skip the forks with these Blueberry Lemon French Toast Muffins! A healthy, on-the-go version of classic French Toast that's perfect for little hands and busy mornings. Bursting with sweet blueberries and a slight tang from fresh lemon zest. This yummy breakfast is made with Little Northern Bakehouse Bread and flax eggs making this recipe both gluten-free & plant-based.
*Thank you Little Northern Bakehouse for sponsoring this post!
Little Northern Bakehouse Gluten-Free, Organic, Allergy-Friendly Bread
I have been loving Little Northern Bakehouse breads and used it as the base for this baked French Toast recipe.They recently added three new certified organic gluten-free breads to their lineup and prove that gluten-free, plant-based, and organic can still be tasty AND nutritious!
Bringing gluten-free bread to a whole new level, the three new varieties – Organic Ancient Grain, Organic Oatmeal and Organic Original – are made with organic whole grains and seeds.
Little Northern Bakehouse products are certified gluten-free, allergy-friendly (peanut and nut free), and non-GMO, with many also 100% plant-based and vegan. These breads are made to be enjoyed by everyone, including those living with celiac disease, gluten-intolerance, and food allergies.
Unlike traditional and gluten-free breads currently on the market, Little Northern Bakehouse breads are certified as Glyphosate Residue Free and display the Bio-Checked Non Glyphosate Certified seal. With this, you can feel confident that Little Northern Bakehouse products use third-party testing to confirm the absence of this chemical which The World Health Organization classiﬁes as a “probable carcinogen,” or cancer-causing substance.
Click here to see Little Northern Bakehouse’s full line of delicious gluten-free products! They can be found in the freezer section of the grocery store in most natural food retailers.
French Toast Muffins Recipe
Get all the flavors you love about French Toast in a quick and easy muffin! With 4 kids, it's hard to please everyone, but this recipe is one that our entire family loved! These muffins are naturally sweetened and they're perfect for meal prep too!
Easy breakfasts are a lifesaver around here. I'm always looking for ways to make our busy mornings healthier. Simple, ready-to-go recipes like this are perfect to add to your meal rotation knowing that your family will have a healthy breakfast to start their day.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make This Gluten-Free French Toast Muffin Recipe?
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious breakfast, and your house will be smelling like blueberry pie! Here's what you'll need:
- One Loaf Little Northern Bakehouse Gluten-Free & Plant-Based Bread.
- Unsweetened Plant-Based Milk. I used Ripple brand because it's packed with protein!
- Ground Flax Seeds
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Fresh Blueberries
- Lemon Zest
You'll need a muffin tin to make this recipe, and while I absolutely love our silicone muffin pans for baking, stick to the metal ones for this recipe. It will help the muffins get a crispy outside while staying soft and chewy on the inside.
How to Make these Blueberry Lemon French Toast Muffins
Start by whisking together the milk, flaxseeds, maple syrup, cinnnamon, salt and vanilla extract. Let the mixture sit for about 10-15 minutes while the flax "eggs" start to thicken the milk.
Meanwhile, slice the bread into cubes and place in a large bowl. Preheat the oven and grease your muffin tin so it's ready to go.
Once the milk mixture is thickened, pour it over the bread cubes and toss until all of the bread is coated.
Start filling your muffin tin with some breads cubes, then add blueberries and repeat with the bread mixture and more blueberries.
Don't be afraid to let the bread cubes extend above the pan- pack them high! Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, then bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
Serving & Storage Suggestions
Go ahead and eat these muffins as-is, or you can top them with a little extra maple syrup. Add some more fresh fruit on the side you like!
Let any extras cool completely before storing. You can keep the muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for easy, individual breakfasts throughout the week. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Blueberry Lemon French Toast Muffins (Gluten-Free & Vegan)
- Muffin Tins
- 1 loaf Gluten-Free Bread I used Little Northern Bakehouse; cut into small ½-3/4 inch cubes.
- 1¼ cups Unsweetened Plant-Based Milk I used Ripple.
- 3 tablespoon Ground Flax Seeds
- 3 tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
- 1½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Fresh Blueberries
- Zest of 1 lemon
Optional Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Sugar or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Generously grease a 12 cup muffin tin. and preheat oven to 350°
- In a measuring cup(or small bowl), whisk together the milk, flax seeds, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract, lemon zest and salt. Set aside until thickened, about 10-15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Meanwhile, cut your bread into small cubes about ½-3/4 inch. Place bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Once the milk/flax mixture is thickened, pour it oven the bread cubes and toss with a spoon until all cubes are well coated.
- Add a layer of soaked bread cubes to each muffin cavity, then add a few blueberries on top. Repeat with the rest of the bread cubes piling them high! Finish with a few more blueberries around the tops of each muffin.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown. Let muffins cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve as-is or top with additional maple syrup.
Looking for more gluten-free & plant-based breakfast ideas? Check out these recipes!