These delicious gluten-free Linzer Cookies are buttery, jam filled sandwich cookies that will be one of the prettiest cookies on your holiday table! They have a shortbread like texture, a beautiful cut-out on top, then finished with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Gluten Free Linzer Cookies
Linzer cookies are an Austrian Christmas shortbread cookie inspired by the traditional Linzer torte. It's a sandwich style cookie filled with jam that shows through a cut-out cookie on top. A dusting of powdered sugar gives these cookies a festive feel for the winter holidays.
Many variations of the Linzer cookie can be found on the internet, but no one will be able to tell this version is gluten-free!
Made with a combination of gluten-free all purpose flour plus almond flour, these cookies are easy to make, and so fun to customize with different shapes and flavors of filling.
How to Make this Gluten-Free Linzer Cookie Recipe
- Make the dough. Prep the simple Linzer cookie dough as directed below.
- Chill the dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for about 1 hour until firm.
- Roll the dough. On a floured surface, roll out the dough until ¼ inch thick. Use cookie cutters to make half solid circles, and half with center cut-outs. My kids love to help with this part!
- Bake. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet until edges are golden. Allow to cool before assembling with filling.
- Sandwich the cookies. Dust cut out cookies with powdered sugar if desired then spread your filling on the solid cookies. Gently press cut-out cookies on top to create beautiful Linzer sandwich cookies.
Linzer Cookie Cutters
You can definitely make Linzer cookies with any cookie cutter, however I recently found this Linzer cookie cutter set in a local kitchen store and will never use anything else! A pre-made Linzer cookie cutter set makes it easy to interchange shapes, and creates a perfectly beautiful round cut-out at the same time.
Have you tried this recipe? Be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Gluten Free Linzer Cookies
- Linzer Cookie Cutter Set This makes it simple, but any cookie cutters will work!
Linzer Cookie Dough
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1 to 1 Flour
- ⅔ cup Almond Flour finely ground
- 1 cup Butter softened; can easily sub DF
- ⅔ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg
- ½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Confectioner's Sugar for dusting
- Raspberry Jam or flavor of choice
- Chocolate Spread
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, continue to mix well.
- Slowly add flours, salt and cinnamon. Mix until well combined and dough forms, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out dough until about ¼" thick. Use a Linzer cookie press to cut out cookies. Half should be solid cookies, half should have a center cut out. Gather scrap dough and repeat until all dough is used.
- Transfer cookie cutouts to a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Once cookies are cool, spread whole cookies with jam then top with cut out cookies , pressing together gently,
- Dust with confectioner's sugar, if desired. Store cookies in a sealed container at room temperature for a few days, or in the freezer for longer storage.