This Gluten-Free Sweet and Sour Chicken is the best Chinese takeout inspired recipe that's made right at home! Light and airy crispy chicken is coated in the most delicious sweet and sour sauce. Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Egg Free.
Gluten-Free Sweet & Sour Chicken
I love recreating classic takeout meals at home! It not only enables me to create a gluten-free version, but makes the dishes a little healthier and just as comforting! This easy sweet and sour chicken recipe is made with the crispiest chicken pieces that are then tossed in a sticky and delicious homemade sweet and sour sauce.
Here's what you'll need to make the chicken. I like to use skinless and boneless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces. This batter is also great to use with shrimp!
- Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- Tapioca Flour or cornstarch
- Baking Powder
- Seasonings: Garlic powder & Salt
- Oil for frying
The simple sweet and sour sauce is made with minimal ingredients that are most likely already in your pantry. It also makes a great dipping sauce!
- apple cider vinegar. This is essential for creating the sourness that we love. Rice vinegar will also work well.
- gluten-free soy sauce. I use this one from kikkoman.
- brown sugar. you can also swap with coconut sugar.
- ketchup. Adds a delicious tangy flavor, a little sweetness, and replaces the food coloring that’s added in takeout dishes.
- garlic powder
If you love a good fake-out take-out, you'll also love our Gluten Free Orange Chicken recipe!
Have you tried this recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Gluten-Free Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 2 large Chicken Breasts cut into small chunks
- 1 cup Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Tapioca Flour cornstarch or arrowroot works well also!
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1½ cups Water
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Oil for frying
Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 4 tablespoon Ketchup
- ½ cup Water
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce Gluten-Free
- 2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoon Tapioca Flour or cornstarch
How to Make the Crispy Chicken
- Combine flours and seasonings in a large bowl. Slowly add water and stir until a thick batter forms.
- Heat oil over high heat in a large frying pan or wok. Coat chicken chunks with the batter
- Fry the chicken pieces in batches, cooking until golden before flipping. Once chicken is cooked transfer to a paper towel lined plate and continue to cook the remaining chicken. Discard used oil when finished cooking the chicken.
How to Make the Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small saucepan until cornstarch dissolves. Heat on medium until simmering. Lower heat and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat. Alternatively, you can pour desired amount of sauce over the chicken when serving, or pour in a small bowl for dipping. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Serve with rice.