Homemade taco seasoning is so much better than store bought packets!
What’s in those little packets anyway? Preservatives, fillers, MSG and artificial flavors are just a few ingredients that come to mind right away. Even natural flavors are questionable because they can consist of 50-100 undisclosed ingredients. No thank you. I believe that if you have a stocked pantry, you can pretty much make anything that you would typically buy packaged at the store.
I’ve been making this seasoning for longer than I can remember…it’s not only healthier and full of flavor, but it will save you a lot of money and time too. It takes less than five minutes to mix the spices together for this versatile seasoning. It can be used in so many ways- not just on Taco Tuesday! Add it to chicken fajitas, refried beans, soups, make your own enchilada sauce or even a taco dip. Once you see how easy it is, you’ll never go back to a packet again!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder, onion powder and oregano
- 1/2-1 tsp salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl
- Cook and drain 1lb of ground beef. Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan, then add in the spice mix. Mix well on low-medium heat until absorbed.
- If you do not use the mix right away, store in an air tight container.
- This amount replaces 1 packet of store bought taco seasoning. If you double or triple the recipe, use 2 tablespoons per pound of meat.