This Chicken Tortilla Soup is loaded with chicken, beans, corn and tomatoes, seasoned with mexican-inspired flavors, then topped with crunchy crushed tortilla chips. Gluten free, dairy free, and can be made in the slow cooker or instant pot.
What is Tortilla Soup?
Tortilla soup is a classic Mexican soup that usually has ingredients like corn, beans, tomatoes and other additions like cilantro and jalapeno. Pretty much a taco in soup form!
In a classic tortilla soup recipe, soft tortilla strips are fried until crispy and then added to the soup for crunch. Instead, we took our favorite crunchy tortilla chips and crushed them on top! I think this variation is way more fun plus most of our favorite tortilla chips are naturally gluten-free.
What ingredients do I need to make this Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe?
Here's what you'll need to make this soup:
- Chicken Breasts
- Broth. Either chicken or vegetable broth works well in this recipe.
- Fresh Onion & Garlic
- Diced Tomatoes. I used one 14oz jar of canned diced tomatoes.
- Green Chilis. You'll find canned green chilis with the taco ingredients at the grocery store. I used mild, but if you like some heat, go for the hot.
- Beans. Cannelinni beans were used in this recipe but feel free to use whatever kind of beans you prefer.
- Corn. I use frozen corn because that's what I usually have on hand.
- Seasonings: Chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper
- Oil. For sauteing the onion and garlic.
- Crushed Tortilla Chips. I love Siete Foods for a grain-free option.
There are lots of yummy options for topping when the soup is ready to serve!
- chopped cilantro
- shredded lettuce
- green onions
- sliced jalapeno or hot sauce for extra heat!
How to Make Tortilla Soup
This soup could not be simpler to make and it can be made in either the slow cooker, instant pot or on the stovetop. Instructions for both the slow cooker and instant pot are listed below in the recipe section of this post. The best part is that after you saute the onions and garlic, you just dump everything in and let it cook. Here's what you need to do!
- Start by sauteing the onion and garlic until softened and fragrant.
- Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, corn and seasonings. Mix well then top with the chicken breasts. The soup is now ready to cook!
- After cooking, remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. Add the chicken back into the soup and stir to combine.
- Serve the soup with crushed tortilla chips and whatever other toppings you love!
Store leftovers in the fridge then reheat for quick lunches during the week. You can also freeze extra to have an easy meal ready to go! Just defrost ahead of time and reheat.
If you make this Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup, be sure to tag me on Instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Grab a spoon and let's eat!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup(Slow Cooker and Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 4 cups Broth chicken or vegetable
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 small Onion chopped; about 1 cup
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 14.5 oz Diced Tomatoes canned; I used petite
- 4 oz Mild Green Chilis canned
- 15 oz Cannelini Beans canned, drained & rinsed; any beans can be subbed!
- 1 cup Corn
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- Ground Pepper to taste
Ideas For Serving
- Cilantro chopped
- Green Onions chopped
- Avocado diced
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sliced Jalapeno or Hot Sauce for additional heat
- Tortilla Chips crushed
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and saute until softened stirring constantly about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour onion mixture into your crockpot, then add the broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, and seasonings. Stir to combine. Finally add the chicken breasts.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Or high 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken from the crockpot and shred with forks. Add the chicken back into the soup and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, green onions, avocado and/or crushed tortilla chips.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Press saute on the Instant Pot. Heat oil, then add onion and garlic stirring often for about 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, and seasonings. Stir well then add the chicken breasts.
- Cover and cook on high pressure 10 minutes. Allow to natural release for 10 minutes. Then carefully turn the steam valve to the venting position to release the remaining steam.
- Remove chicken from the instant pot and shred with forks. Add the shredded chicken back into the soup. Add salt & pepper to taste if needed. Serve in bowls and top with chopped cilantro, green onions, avocado, and/or crushed tortilla chips.