This make-ahead, plant-based Gingerbread French Toast Casserole is soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Filled with cozy gingerbread spices, this baked French toast is the best holiday breakfast on Christmas, or any cold winter morning. Gluten-Free & Vegan.
Gluten-Free Vegan French Toast Casserole
This delicious gingerbread french toast bake is full of warming spices like cinnamon, ginger, allspice & cloves to make a gluten-free and vegan casserole that’s perfect for breakfast or brunch during the holidays.
If you’ve never made an egg-free french toast casserole before, you may be wondering how it’s possible! Ground flax seeds mix with liquid to create an egg-like consistency that works great as a binder in vegan baking. And what about the bread? Most conventional bread is made with eggs, but I partnered with Little Northern Bakehouse to create this recipe using their Millet & Chia Bread. It’s not only gluten-free and safe for our daughter with Celiac Disease, but also plant-based and allergy-friendly(peanut and nut-free) so it can be enjoyed by everyone!
Let’s get started!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this plant-based Gingerbread French Toast Recipe:
- 1 Loaf Little Northern Bakehouse Bread.You can use any flavor you like, but I used the Millet & Chia.
- Unsweetened Plant-Based Milk
- Flax Seeds
- Tapioca Flour
- Brown Sugar
- Spices: vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and cloves.
To get even more festive, go ahead and mix in some fresh cranberries. The tart flavor of the cranberries plus the sweetness of the casserole is the perfect combo.
You’ll also need a 9×13 baking pan or casserole dish.
Why We Love Little Northern Bakehouse Gluten-Free Bread!
Little Northern Bakehouse products are certified gluten-free, allergy-friendly, and non-GMO, with many also 100% plant-based and vegan. Using only the best possible, whole-food ingredients, including seeds and grains for a boost in nutrition.
One of my favorite parts about this company is that, unlike traditional and gluten-free breads currently on the market, Little Northern Bakehouse breads are certified as Glyphosate Residue Free and display the Bio-Checked Non Glyphosate Certified seal. You can feel confident that Little Northern Bakehouse products use third-party testing to confirm the absence of this chemical which The World Health Organization classiﬁes as a “probable carcinogen,” or cancer-causing substance.
Be sure to keep an eye out in the freezer section of your grocery store for Little Northern Bakehouse gluten-free products!
How to Make This French Toast Casserole
- Slice the bread into 1-inch cubes then spread out into a greased 9×13 pan.
- Next, in a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients until there are no longer any lumps. You can also do this step in a blender.
- Pour the milk mixture on top of the bread cubes, tossing until coated on all sides. Let sit for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Cover with foil then bake for 20 minutes. Uncover, then bake for an additional 20 minutes until golden brown and crispy on top.
French toast isn’t complete without a drizzle of pure maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar!
Love the warming flavor of gingerbread during the holidays? Then you’ll love these yummy Gluten-Free Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies
Gingerbread French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf Gluten-Free Bread cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups Plant-Based Milk unsweetened
- 2 tbsp Flax Seeds ground
- 2 tbsp Tapioca Flour cornstarch also works well.
- ½ cup Molasses
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp All-Spice
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Cloves
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Fresh Cranberries
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, molasses, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, all spice, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla extract. and salt. Add flax seeds and tapioca flour then whisk until there are no lumps. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Place cubed bread in a large mixing bowl, then pour milk mixture on top. Stir to combine, and let sit for 30 minutes (or up to overnight), tossing halfway through until bread is coated on all sides. Mix in fresh cranberries if using.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil then continue to cook for 20 more minutes. Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar and/or a drizzle of maple syrup on top.