In this Upside Down Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole, we flipped the crust around and put it on top! It's incredibly simple and tasty gluten-free casserole perfect for breakfast, brunch or even brinner!
Gluten-Free Tater Tot Casserole
If you love comfort food, this easy homemade breakfast casserole is sure to become a quick favorite. It's a hearty dish that feeds a hungry crowd.
Perfect to make for a brunch gathering, holiday or a slow Sunday morning with your family. Save leftovers for easy breakfasts throughout the week!
It's full of savory flavors! Loaded with crispy tater tots, eggs, and your favorite breakfast meat all in one dish. It's takes only a few minutes to come together and then the oven does the rest of the work!
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole?
Here's what you'll need:
- Frozen Tater Tots
- Breakfast Meat
- Milk, unsweetened plant-based milk for dairy-free.
- Seasonings: garlic powder, salt & pepper.
This casserole is not only very budget friendly, but it's super kid-friendly too. You can easily make adjustments and customize it based on your dietary needs or preferances. Swap out sausage for bacon, add-in different vegetables, or leave out the cheese and use plant-based milk for dairy allergies or intolerances.
HOW TO MAKE THIS TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
This casserole is total comfort food and full of savory flavors. Perfect to make for a brunch gathering, holiday or a slow Sunday morning with your family. Save leftovers for easy breakfasts throughout the week!
- Crumble your choice of cooked meat in the bottom of an oven safe skillet(I use a cast iron pan) or a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- If you choose to use cheese(dairy or non-dairy), sprinkle it on top of the meat. We don't use cheese in this meal and it still tastes great!
- Next, whisk together your eggs, milk & seasonings and pour evenly over your meat. You can even add in some chopped veggies here if you want.
- Top the eggs with tater tots in an even layer and it's ready to bake.
CAN I MAKE THIS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE AHEAD?
Absolutely! You can make the casserole up until the point where you add the eggs. Then store covered in the fridge for up to 2 days. When you're ready to bake, just top with the frozen tater tots before placing in the oven. You could also bake the full casserole ahead on the weekend and it easily reheats for a ready-to-go breakfast throughout the week.
Upside Down Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 32 oz Tater Tots
- 1 lb Meat of Choice ground sausage, bacon, etc. Cooked & drained.
- 12 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk Dairy-Free: Unsweetened Plant-Based
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Cup Veggies chopped: peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.
- 2 Cups Cheese shredded
- Chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spread cooked meat on the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan or a cast iron skillet. If you cooked the meat in a cast iron pan, continue making the entire recipe in the same pan.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the meat, if using.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, milk, seasonings & veggies. Pour on top of meat.
- Cover top with frozen tater tots in a single layer. *When making ahead, DO NOT add the tater tots until ready to bake*
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes until eggs are set.
- Garnish with chives.
Need more breakfast ideas? Check out these recipes!
- Make-Ahead Egg Muffins
- Grain-Free Almond Flour Waffles
- Sweet Potato Hash With Peppers & Onions
- Easy Almond Flour Crepes
This was great! Easy to make and very tasty.
Could you bake it and then freeze it in portions? Made it and it was a hit! Thanks
Hi! I haven't tried this personally because it doesn't last that long in our house! I'm sure it would work though! Let me know if you try. So happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe!
Can the recipe be doubled using a larger pan? If so what would be the adjustments to the recipe and baking instructions?
Hi Cynthia! I have never doubled this recipe because it's already a pretty large batch, but if you decide to try, I would suggest doubling all ingredients and the cooking time will be longer.I can't give an exact time since I haven't done it, but you will need to make sure its long enough so that the eggs are set/cooked in the middle.
Anyone know the nutritional info? For us calorie counters? 😅
My suggestion would be to add the ingredients into a nutrition calculator app!
Curious if this recipe could be done in a crockpot? And if so, what the cook time/level to set it at?
Hi! So sorry for the late reply, sometimes comments get flagged as spam. This recipe was not made for the crockpot, sorry!
If making ahead, how do you suggest going about it? Leaving the meat and veggies to sit in the egg mixture overnight, for example?
Hi Tracy! Yes, you can either prepare the meat & eggs then keep in the fridge-top with tater tots when ready to bake. Or, I've had many people bake the casserole ahead and just reheat when ready to serve. Hope this helps!
Why plant based milk ??? Can you use regular cows milk!?
Yes you can! Most all of my recipes are dairy-free as well as gluten free, but regular milk works just the same if you can tolerate dairy.