This potato soup gives you all the feels- comfy, cozy, creamy(without the cream!) and oh so yummy!! It’s a hearty, easy to make soup that the whole family will love. Make a big batch and you’ll have leftovers for the week!
Whether you are looking to have a slow cooker Sunday, or a quick weeknight meal, we’ve got you covered with this ultimate bowl of comfort food!
Slow Cooker Potato Soup with Instant Pot Option
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 6-8 large potatoes peeled and chopped
- 6-8 cups broth, or enough to just cover the potatoes
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp basil
- Pepper to taste
- Toppings: Lots of bacon(Applegate brand contains no nitrates) cooked & crumbled, Chopped fresh chives
- Saute onion and garlic in oil in a stovetop skillet until tender.
- Stir salt, basil & pepper. Mix well then remove from heat
- Add broth,potatoes, carrots and celery to a crockpot.
- Stir in onion mixture. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Blend/mash the potatoes using an immersion blender, or the back of a fork to desired consistency. *The potatoes should thicken the soup naturally once mashed, however if you desire a thicker soup, create a slurry with 2 tbsp gluten free flour and 1/2 cup liquid(broth or milk). Stir into the slow cooker, and cook an additional 15 minutes covered on the high setting.
- Top with crumbled bacon and chives.
Instant Pot Option
- Press the saute button and add butter. Saute onions and garlic until tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Make sure the potatoes are covered with broth.
- Seal lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- Vent using the quick release option
- When finished venting, open the lid.
- Blend or mash potatoes.
- If needed, mix 2 tbsp gf flour with 1/2 cup liquid (broth or milk) to create a slurry. Put Instant Pot back on saute.
- Pour flour mix into the soup and stir for about 5 minutes until thickened. Will also thicken more as it cools. Serve with desired toppings.