This Italian Style Unstuffed Pepper Skillet has all the flavors you love in a stuffed pepper only it's made into an easy, one-pan skillet meal. It's loaded with crumbled Italian sausage, marinara sauce, onions, peppers and seasonings, and is a quick, 30 minute meal that your whole family will enjoy!
Unstuffed Pepper Skillet
If you like stuffed peppers, you are going to love this unstuffed pepper skillet!
It's basically a deconstructed stuffed pepper and comes together in half the time of making regular stuffed peppers. It's a family-style recipe that's a healthy and hearty comfort meal, uses only a handful of real food ingredients, and is made in one-pan in under thirty minutes! Perfect for nights when you're barely holding it together and a great option for meal prep too!
Most stuffed pepper recipes I've seen use ground beef and a combination of taco seasonings. This version is bursting with Italian flavors from the sausage, marinara and seasonings. I know you're going to love it!
What ingredients do I need to make this easy Unstuffed Pepper Skillet?
Fresh ingredients plus pantry staples combine to create one simple & delicious gluten-free dinner recipe. Here's what you'll need:
- Ground Italian Sausage. I used Hatfield Recipe Essentials.
- Rice. Be sure to use long grain rice and not minute rice.
- Bell Peppers. I used one yellow and one green pepper, but use whatever colors you have on hand.
- Marinara Sauce. Use your favorite pasta sauce!
- Broth. Chicken, vegetable or beef broth will work.
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
How do you make this Unstuffed Pepper Skillet Recipe?
Instead of stuffing the filling into peppers, the bell peppers are diced and mixed into the other ingredients. The rice even cooks in the same skillet too and is perfectly tender when the meal is complete.
- Start by heating a skillet to medium/high heat. Add in the ground Italian sausage, onions, and garlic. Crumble sausage and cook stirring often for about 5 minutes.
- Then, stir in the peppers, rice and seasonings, and saute for about 2 minutes until flavorful.
- Finally, stir in the broth and marinara sauce then bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, cover the pan and lower heat to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked. Stir a few times while cooking to make sure the rice is not sticking to the bottom of the pan!
Save any leftovers in the fridge for easy meals throughout the week. I turned our leftovers into soup the next day! Add extra broth, stir in the leftovers, then heat on the stove to desired temperature.
Be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree if you make this recipe, so I can see how it turned out!
Italian Style Unstuffed Pepper Skillet
- 1 lb Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 cup Long Grain Rice
- 2 Bell Peppers diced; Any colors you like!
- 24 oz Marinara Sauce
- 1½ cups Broth either vegetable, chicken or beef broth works
- 2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Blend
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Salt or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- Fresh Chopped Parsley or Basil for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then brown sausage, onion and garlic stirring consistantly for about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers, rice and seasonings and saute about 2 minutes until flavorful.
- Stir in the broth and marinara sauce and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, cover and lower heat to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until rice is cooked. Times may vary. Remove lid and stir a few times while cooking to make sure the rice isn't sticking to the pan.