Wait until you try this healthy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole! This meal delivers classic buffalo chicken flavor while being loaded with veggies. It’s an easy dish that’s not only gluten free, but low carb/paleo friendly and SO addictively delicious.
Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Spaghetti squash is an amazing vegetable with strands that resemble everyone’s favorite pasta! I was very hesitant to try it, but now I can’t get enough! Spaghetti squash has a very mild flavor so it goes well with just about anything.
The filling for this recipe is an easy mix of roasted spaghetti squash, ground chicken, diced celery, bell peppers, eggs and seasonings then mixed together with a simple buffalo dressing.
This spaghetti squash recipe has classic buffalo wing flavor in a comforting casserole with no gluten or grains and there’s dairy-free options as well.
It may not be the prettiest meal out there, but believe me when I say it’s a must-try!
How Do You Cook a Spaghetti Squash
Since squash is hard to cut, I cook spaghetti squash WHOLE in the oven at 350 degress for about 10 minutes, then I remove it and slice it in half(be careful, it will be hot!). It makes it just tender enough to slice easily. Then scoop out the seeds. Place cut side down on a baking sheet for another 20 minutes. It’s ok if the strands are not completely cooked since they will continue cooking with the casserole.
What Ingredients Do I need to Make this Buffalo Spaghetti Squash Recipe?
Here’s what you’ll need :
- Spaghetti Squash(obviously!)
- Ground Chicken
- Bell Pepper
- Hot Sauce. Always use Franks’s!
- Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing. Use your favorite brand that aligns with your dietary needs. Suggestions are below.
- Salt & Pepper
If you have an oven safe cast iron pan, use it to make this a one-pan meal!
How to Make Buffalo Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Start by cooking your spaghetti squash. You can also cook it ahead of time so it’s ready to go!
Meanwhile, heat a little oil and brown the ground chicken over medium heat. Add the celery and peppers, but only cook for 2-3 minutes until flavorful. You don’t want the veggies to get too soft.
Remove from heat, then stir in the butter, allowing it to melt in the hot pan, hot sauce and dressing.
Feel free to up the buffalo flavor by adding more hot sauce!
Then, stir the spaghetti squash strands into the chicken mixture and fold in the eggs until everything is well combined.
Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Season the top of the casserole with salt and pepper, then bake until brown and crispy on top and the eggs are set.
This comforting casserole will have everyone going back for seconds- let’s eat!
Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 3 Celery Ribs diced
- 1 Red Pepper diced
- 2 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1/3 cup Hot Sauce decrease to 1/4 cup if you don't want a lot of spice or add more if you like a lot of heat. You can always add more on top when serving!
- 1/2 cup Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing Use Primal Kitchen Foods, Tessemae's or Sir Kensingtons for dairy-free
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 tsp Salt & Pepper or to taste
- Optional: 1-2 jalapenos seeded and sliced for garnish & additional spice!
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half and remove seeds. Roast about 20-30 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from oven and shred with a fork to create noodle like strands. You want the "noodles" to be al dente because they will continue cooking with the rest of the casserole.
- Meanwhile, while the squash is cooking, in a medium size stove top skillet or oven safe cast iron pan, heat oil and brown ground chicken over medium heat. Add the peppers and celery and cook 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Remove the chicken mixture from heat and add butter(it will melt in the hot pan), hot sauce & dressing to the pan. Mix well.
- Stir the spaghetti squash shreds into the chicken mixture.
- At this point, if you are not using an oven safe pan, transfer the spaghetti squash & chicken mixture to a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- Fold in the eggs mixing well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400° and bake for 35-40 minutes until the eggs are set. You can broil for the last few minutes for an extra crisp top!
Pingback: How to Meal Plan with Theme Nights – Thriving Gluten Free