This Crispy Crockpot Pork Carnitas recipe is prepped in less than 10 minutes, then the slow cooker does the rest of the work! The pork simmers all day until it's perfectly tender and juicy. Finish these carnitas off under the broiler to carmelize the sauce and make them extra crispy.
Crispy Pork Carnitas
These Carnitas, aka Mexican style pulled pork, are made from slow cooked pork that has been seasoned with spices, cooked low and slow until falling apart, then crisped under the broiler right before serving. This meal is perfect for busy weeknights or when you just need an easy dinner ready to go without a lot of effort.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make This Crockpot Carnita Recipe?
The key to these flavorful carnitas is the sweet braising liquid and the combination of dried spices in the rub.
Here's what you'll need:
- Boneless Pork Shoulder. also can be called "pork butt" or "Boston Butt" if you're confused in the store!
- Fresh Garlic Cloves
- Orange Juice & Fresh Lime Juice
- Water or Broth
For the dry rub you'll need:
- Onion Powder
- Ground Pepper
How to Make These Crispy Crockpot Carnitas
I do not trim the fat off the pork in this recipe. While many people do, and it's totally your preferance, I can't help but hear my grandmother saying "the flavor is in the fat". SO, the fat stays on while cooking, and then when it comes time to shred the pork, the fat can be easily discarded while shredding.
Start by combining the dried spices and give the pork a good rub. Place the meat in the crockpot and pour the juices over the pork. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours(or low 5-6 hours) until the meat pulls apart easily.
If you have some time, I suggest shredding the meat and then putting it back into the slow cooker to absorb the juices for the last ½ hour to hour of cooking.
Finally, spread the pulled pork onto a foil lined baking sheet. Pour one cup of the cooking liquid over the pork then place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes until browned and crisp on top.
This carnitas recipe is perfect to add to you meal prep. It's so versatile and can be served in so many different ways!
- Soft Gluten-Free Tortillas
- Hard taco shells
- Burritos or a Burrito Bowl
Have leftovers? This delicious pork makes great lunches throughout the week! Store in an airtight container in the fridge then serve as desired.
Did you try this carnita recipe? Be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Crispy Crockpot Pork Carnitas
- Slow Cooker
- 1 4-5lb Pork Shoulder boneless
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- ⅓ cup Orange Juice or juice from 1 navel orange
- 1 Lime about ¼ cup juiced
- ½ cup Water or Broth
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
Optional for Garnish
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Mix the dry rub ingredients together in a small bowl then rub onto the pork.
- Add the seasoned pork to the slow cooker and add the liquid ingredients pouring over the pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high 5-6 hours until the meat falls apart easily.
- Shred the pork with two forks.
To Crisp in the Oven
- Preheat broiler to high heat. Spread shredded pork evenly across a baking sheet. Pour about 1 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker over the pork.
- Broil 5-7 minutes or until meat becomes golden and crispy.