This Gluten-Free Focaccia Bread recipe is perfectly crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. Focaccia is a simple flat bread that is delicious paired with soups, sandwiches, or enjoyed on its own. Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free & Vegan.
Gluten-Free Focaccia Bread
Focaccia bread is typically topped with olive oil, sea salt, herbs and spices, and sometimes even decorated beautifully with garden vegetables. This delicious gluten-free bread can be served as a side, used as a thick pizza crust or even sliced for sandwiches. I love dipping focaccia into soups, so be sure to also try my Baked Potato Soup or my Quick & Easy Instant Pot Turkey Chili.
This focaccia bread recipe is very simple to make-no fancy equipment is needed- only a baking sheet and a mixer! It’s one of our favorite yeast breads to make at home(besides our favorite pizza crust recipe) and is perfect for beginner bread bakers. Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free & Vegan.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make This Gluten-Free Focaccia Recipe
Flour. An all-purpose gluten-free flour blend such as King Arthur Measure for Measure works well in this recipe.
Olive Oil. I used extra virgin olive oil for robust Italian flavor, but you can also use a neutral tasting oil such as avocado oil.
Instant Yeast, Warm Water & Sugar. Helps the bread rise!
Herbs & Spices. A combination of thyme, rosemary, garlic & salt.
I use a 9 by 13 rimmed baking sheet to make this bread. If you do not have one, you can use a 9 by 13 baking dish with taller sides.
One of the best things about this focaccia bread recipe is that it’s completely versatile.This time, I infused the olive oil with fresh garlic cloves then topped it with rosemary and sea salt flakes.
How to Make this Gluten Free Focaccia Recipe
Prepare a 9″ x 13″ baking sheet by drizzling about 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. The olive oil gives the bottom crust great flavor and a good crunch.
Next, infuse olive oil with garlic by placing the oil in a small pan over low heat. Add minced garlic cloves and simmer a few minutes until aromatic. Set aside. This step really takes the flavor profile up a notch!
Then, combine warm water, yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow yeast to become active. Add the flour and salt to the yeast mixture and beat until a dough forms.
Add 3 tablespoons of the garlic infused oil to the rest of the dough and mix for about 60 seconds.
Place the sticky batter onto the prepared pan, cover and let rise for an hour.
Now for the fun part! Gently poke the dough all over with your fingers. Drizzle the dough with the rest of the oil and sprinkle with dried herbs of your choice and sea salt.
Place the dough in the cold oven then heat to 375 degrees. The bread will rise for a second time while the oven is preheating. Bake until golden brown about 20 miniutes depending on your oven. We have a propane fueled oven and it was done cooking sooner than that!
Wrap leftover focaccia tightly in plastic wrap then refrigerate or freeze.
Have you tried this recipe? Be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Gluten-Free Focaccia Bread Recipe (Dairy-Free & Vegan)
- 3½ cups Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Oil extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups Warm Water
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Instant Yeast
- 2-3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1½ tsp Salt
- Rosemary, Thyme, Sea Salt Flakes
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking sheet by drizzling about 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. The olive oil gives the bottom crust great flavor and a good crunch.
- Infuse olive oil with garlic by placing the oil in a small pan over low heat. Add minced garlic cloves and simmer a few minutes until aromatic. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and salt to the yeast mixture then beat until a dough begins to form.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of the olive oil with the rest of the dough ingredients, and beat with an electric mixer for about 60 seconds.
- Place the sticky batter into the prepared pan, cover the pan, and let it rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Gently poke the dough all over with your index fingers.
- Drizzle it lightly with the rest of the olive oil, and sprinkle the dried herbs of your choice. Place the bread in a cold oven and heat to 375°. The bread will continue to rise for a second time while the oven is preheating. Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.