This peppermint bark will bring holiday cheer to anyone that tastes it!
It’s so easy and so festive!! Made with only a few ingredients, it’s quick to make and can even be made weeks ahead. Crushed peppermint candy pieces are sprinkled on top of melted chocolate and then hardened. It’s perfect to bring to parties, or grab some holiday tins for a simple homemade gift for family members or teachers.
This recipe has a “layered” option using both dark chocolate and white chocolate. Nestle Simply Delicious created a wonderful dairy-free white chocolate option, however if you can not find it, use only the dark chocolate to keep it both a gluten free & dairy free treat!
Festive Peppermint Bark
- 9 or 10oz Enjoy Life Foods or Nestle Simply Delicious chocolate chips
- 9 or 10oz white chocolate(optional for a layered bark-see instructions below)
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- candy canes, crushed(use a ziploc bag to keep this step less messy! Crush into small pieces with a meat mallet or rolling pin)
- Line the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan with foil or parchment paper, smoothing out any wrinkles the best you can.
- Using a double boiler, melt the semi-sweet chocolate and 1 tsp coconut oil. You can also use a microwave, however chocolate overheats fast so be sure to melt in 15 second intervals and stir well after each time.
- Pour melted chocolate into the prepared pan, spreading into a thin, smooth layer with a spatula.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes evenly across the chocolate and press them slightly into the chocolate.
- Refrigerate the bark until completely hardened. Once hardened, remove from pan and break into small pieces.
Layered Peppermint Bark
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate FIRST in the double boiler or microwave with 1 tsp oil.
- Once melted, pour melted chocolate into the prepared pan, spreading into a thin, smooth layer with a spatula.
- Place in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes or until hardened.
- Meanwhile, melt the white chocolate with another teaspoon of oil.
- Once the semi-sweet chocolate is set, remove from fridge and poor the second batch of white chocolate on top, spreading quickly into a smooth layer on top of the first layer.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes and place back in the fridge/freezer until hardened.
*Use Yum Earth or Wholesome brand for a dye-free candy cane option.
Make Ahead! This recipe keeps well in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 3 weeks, or you can store longer in the freezer.