We hear it all the time….”Don’t eat fried foods”…. Well, I’ll tell you what- if you’re not treating yourself, you’re cheating yourself!
Life is short, and even if you’re on the healthiest of diets or restricted because of health reasons, cravings for the food you once enjoyed are inevitable.
Sometimes you just want ONION RINGS!! And by all means have them. Just not every day! But on that special occasion when you want to splurge, try this gluten free, grain free and dairy free version!
Paleo Onion Rings
Served on top of a salad with Primal Kitchen Foods ranch salad dressing.
- 2 Vidalia onions
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- avocado oil for frying
I use avocado oil for frying due to it’s high smoke point. Heating oils beyond their smoke point can generate toxic fumes and harmful free radicals. If you’re unsure of an oil’s smoke point, most labels on bottles of oil will give you the correct temperature.
- Slice onions to create thick rings
- Mix the flours and spices in a medium sized bowl
- Add the eggs and milk- stir well. The batter should be thick, but if it’s too thick, add a touch more milk
- Heat oil in a large skillet
- Coat onion rings in the batter, tapping off extra. You only need a thin layer of batter. Place in the hot oil and cook for a few minutes on each side until crisp and browned
- Use tongs or a fork to remove the onion rings(they will be hot!) and place on paper towels to cool.