These Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers are the ultimate party appetizer or game day snack! Fresh jalapenos are stuffed with Mexican-spiced cream cheese, wrapped in bacon, then baked until crispy. Naturally gluten-free and dairy-free optional.
Gluten-Free Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
This easy bacon wrapped jalapeno popper recipe is just like the classic breaded jalapeno poppers made in a restaurant, except this recipe skips the breading and is wrapped in bacon making it a naturally gluten-free version. They are also baked in an oven instead of being deep fried!
If you're worried about the heat, don't be! Once the jalapeno seeds and ribs are removed, they really aren't spicy at all. Even our picky kiddos can handle them with no problem!
Ingredients you'll need to make these jalapeno poppers:
- Fresh Jalapenos. About 3 inches long is the perfect size so that they're not too small to stuff and not too big. Make sure they are all about the same size in order to cook evenly.
- Cream Cheese. Go ahead and use your favorite dairy-free cream cheese spread if needed.
- Spices. I used a mixture of ground cumin and chili powder to pack these poppers full of Mexican-inspired flavor.
- Bacon. Use traditional sliced, not thick sliced bacon. Cut each slice of bacon in half to make it the perfect size for wrapping. You can secure with a toothpick if needed.
How to Make this Jalapeno Popper Recipe
Start by slicing the jalapenos in half, then remove the ribs and seeds. This removes most of the heat from the jalapenos, so if you like things more on the spicy side, leave some of the seeds in there. My pro-tip is to wear gloves while prepping the peppers to avoid burning your hands or fingers! I learned from experience!!
The peppers are then stuffed with a cream cheese mixture that is seasoned with mexican spices of cumin and chili powder.
The last step before baking, is the best part- BACON! Each stuffed jalapeno then gets wrapped up in a half slice of bacon. Place the jalapenos on a baking sheet with a wire rack so that the bacon grease is able to drip.
You can fill and wrap the jalapenos up to a day ahead. Store them covered in the fridge until you're ready to bake.
If you've tried this recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- 16-18 Jalapeno Peppers sliced lengthwise- stems & seeds removed.
- 8 oz Cream Cheese Softened; Sub your favorite plant-based dairy-free cream cheese spread if needed.
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 lb Bacon Slices cut in half
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, cumin and chili powder. Mix well.
- Fill each of the jalapeno halves with a small amount of the cream cheese mixture.
- Wrap each stuffed jalapeno with a slice of bacon and place on a baking rack.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Poppers can be assembled and refrigerated for up to 1 day ahead until ready to bake.