These Grain-Free Onion Rings are the perfect indulgent snack that doesn't use any gluten, grains or dairy! Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, these onion rings are a healthified version of a classic restaurant appetizer that are easy to make at home!
Grain-Free Onion Rings
Let me tell you....if you're not treating yourself, you're cheating yourself!
Life is all about balance, and even if you're on the healthiest of diets or restricted because of health reasons, cravings for the food you once enjoyed are inevitable.
Sometimes you just want that taste of crispy, fried restaurant style comfort food without having to worry about cross contamination, a dedicated fryer, or gluten filled ingredients. You can easily make the foods you crave at home-with better for you ingredients to go along with it!
On that big game day or anytime you want to splurge, try this "healthified" recipe that is gluten free, grain free and dairy free.
And don't forget to make the aioli dipping sauce because that might just be the best part!
What ingredients do I need to make this Onion Ring recipe?
- Vidalia Onions
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Tapioca Flour
- Plant-Based Milk
- Seasonings: Paprika, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder & salt.
- Avocado Oil
Don't skip the dip! You will love dipping these onion rings in this easy garlic aioli recipe. **If you're following a strict paleo diet, be sure to use a brand of mayo and ketchup that are compliant.
Here's what you'll need to make it:
- Seasonings: garlic powder, cayenne powder & salt.
How to make these homemade healthier Onion Rings
This recipe is easy to make! Simply slice onions into rings, then dredge in the batter.
To make the batter:
- Mix flours and seasonings in a large bowl, then add in your eggs and milk.
- Coat onion rings in the batter, tapping off any extra. You only need a thin layer of batter!
To cook, I went for the frying pan because baked onion rings never turn out quite as tasty in my opion. I use avocado oil(I get a HUGE bottle at Costco!) due to it's high smoke point plus it's neutral tasting. You only need a few tablespoons to get these onion rings nice and crispy. No deep frying or refined oils needed!
If you've tried this recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Grain-Free Onion Rings with Garlic Aioli Sauce
- 2 Vidalia Onions sliced into ¼ inch rings
- ⅓ cup Almond Flour
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Flour
- 4 tablespoon Tapioca Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Plant Based Milk unsweetened
- Avocado Oil for frying
Garlic Aioli Sauce (optional)
- ½ cup Mayo
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Powder
- Slice onions to create thick rings.
- Mix the flours and spices in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the eggs and milk- stir well. The batter should be thick, but if it's too thick, add a touch more milk.
- Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Coat onion rings in the batter, tapping off extra. You only need a thin layer of batter. Place in the hot oil and cook for a few minutes on each side until crisp and browned.
- Use tongs or a fork to remove the onion rings(they will be hot!) and place on paper towels to cool.
- Repeat with all onions, adding more oil as needed.
Garlic Aioli Sauce
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.