Diving right into Meatless Monday this week with FALAFELS!
I’ve never made a falafel in my life, but was inspired by an insta-friend and couldn’t wait to learn 🙂 Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern food made from ground chickpeas. They’re typically served in a pita, but since I didn’t have any GF pitas, I served them in a bowl with homemade yellow rice, chopped veggies and a dairy-free tzatziki sauce.
Falafel Bowl with Tumeric Rice & Dairy-Free Tzatziki Sauce
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro,chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp GF All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Combine chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, garlic, cumin, and lemon into a food processor. Process on high until everything is blended and smooth.
- Stir in the flour and baking soda. Mix well.
- Roll your falafel into small balls.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat to med-high.
- Cook the falafel on all sides until golden brown and crispy,
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- half of a red pepper, diced
- half onion diced
- 1 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a skillet and saute onion and red pepper for 1-2 mins.
- Pour in broth, rice, salt and tumeric. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cook according to package directions for rice.
IngredientsDairy Free Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 container Kite Hill Foods Dairy Free Plain Greek Syle Yogurt(5oz)
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped and seeds removed
- 2 small cloves garlic
- squeeze of lemon juice(about 1-2 tbsp)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Only takes a few secs!
- Season with salt and pepper and store in the fridge to thicken.