This Healthy Harvest Chicken Salad is an easy and delicious meal filled with lots of Fall flavors! Made with shredded chicken, sweet dried cranberries, crisp apples and crunchy celery, then mixed in a creamy & tangy dairy-free dressing.
This chicken salad(or turkey salad!) is perfect to have on hand for a healthy and hearty lunch. It’s easy to prep ahead on the weekend, then keep in the fridge for quick lunches during the week. It’s simple enough for an everyday lunch, but fancy enough to serve to guests. Filled with lots of Fall flavors, but I know you will love it enough to eat it year round!
What You Need to Make this Harvest Chicken Salad Recipe
This recipe is free of gluten, dairy and grains. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cooked & Shredded Chicken. You can either boil 2 chicken breasts, or keep it super easy using leftovers or an already cooked rotisserie chicken. You can also use leftover turkey!
- Mayo. The base for the dressing; you could also sub 1/4 cup mayo for 1/4 cup of unsweetened greek yogurt(Kite Hill for dairy-free)
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Gives the dressing the perfect tangy flavor.
- Celery. Adds the perfect crunch!
- Apples. Gala or Fuji apples are my favorite in this salad, but any kind you have on hand works!
- Dried Cranberries. I always use Ocean Spray Craisins.
- Seasonings. Salt, pepper, garlic powder & paprika.
- Optional. Throw in some chopped nuts, for extra nutrients and flavor, or add a pinch of ground cayenne pepper for a little spice.
How to Make this Easy Lunch Recipe
First, cook your chicken, or use leftovers, whatever you have on hand! Shred the chicken(or turkey) into small pieces or bite-sized cubes and place in a large bowl.
Second, chop the apple and celery then toss in with the chicken. Add in the dried cranberries.
Finally, mix together the mayo, apple cider vinegar and seasonings, then pour in the bowl, tossing everything until well combined.
Serving & Storage Suggestions for this Harvest Chicken Salad
It’s completely up to you how you want to serve the chicken salad!
Go for a classic sandwich on gluten free bread or rolls, wrap in a tortilla, scoop it up with crackers, or lighten it up and top it on some lettuce cups or fresh greens for a low carb, paleo option. Either way you choose, I know you’re going to love this combination of flavors!
Store the chicken salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. If it dries out at all, go ahead and stir in a little more mayo.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Healthy Harvest Chicken Salad
- 2½-3 cups Cooked Chicken Boil and shred 2 chicken breasts or use an already cooked rotisserie chicken.
- 1 Apple diced
- 1 Celery Rib diced
- ½ cup Dried Cranberries
- ½-¾ cup Mayo start with 1/2 cup then add more if needed.
- 3 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ tsp Salt more or less to taste
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ¼ cup Chopped Nuts Pecans, pistachios, walnuts or any kind you like or have on hand!
- ¼ tsp Ground Cayenne Powder for a little spice!
- In a medium size bowl, add the shredded chicken, apples, celery, cranberries, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the mayo, vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir to combine and add to the chicken. Toss everything together until mixed well.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat or can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Serve over lettuce, a gluten-free tortilla wrap, bread, or crackers.
Pingback: How to Meal Plan with Theme Nights – Thriving Gluten Free