This easy Gluten-Free Apple Crisp Recipe is a classic Fall dessert! Freshly sliced apples are covered in warming spices of cinnamon & nutmeg, then topped with a buttery oat crumble topping.
Gluten-Free Apple Crisp Recipe
While I do love pumpkin season, apple is actually my favorite Fall flavor! This apple crisp recipe is so much easier than making apple pie, and is our go-to fall dessert after we go apple picking at our local orchard!
You can use any variety of apples that you like to make this recipe! Some varieties will definitely affect how the crisp turns out…McIntosh will become very soft, while others like Honeycrisp, Grannysmith or Golden Delicious will keep their shape after baking.
What ingredients do I need to make this apple crisp recipe?
For the base of this yummy dessert dish, you”ll need:
- Apples. My favorite kind of apples to use are either honey crisp or granny smith, or a combo of both!
- Brown Sugar. Coconut sugar is a great swap if you prefer/or need a refined sugar free version.
- Cornstarch. Helps to thicken the apple juices. Other thickening alternatives are tapioca flour or arrowroot.
- Lemon Juice. Keeps the apples from browning and adds flavor.
- Spices: Ground cinnamon & nutmeg
Then for the crumble topping you’ll need:
- Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour Blend. Most brands of gluten-free flour should work well in this recipe. The flours I’ve used are King Arthur Measure for Measure and Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 flour blends.
- Gluten-Free Oats. Due to cross contamination issues, if you have Celiac Disease, be sure to always use GF oats, and even better would be purity protocol oats. I recommend Gluten-Free Prairie(Purity Protocol) or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Oats
- Brown Sugar & Cinnamon
- Butter. This recipe calls for unsalted butter, however you can use regular salted butter, just omit the additional salt called for in the topping.
Do I need to peel the apples?
I suggest peeling in this recipe, but the real answer is no! After the apples are baked, you won’t really notice the peels. My kids however prefer them peeled and I don’t mind a few minutes of the extra work. Totally up to you!
How to Make This Easy Gluten-Free Apple Crisp Recipe
- Peel and thinly slice your apples. Toss win a large bowl with brown sugar, lemon juice, spices and cornstarch.
- In a separate bowl, combine the streusel topping ingredients. Cut butter into the mixture until crumbly.
- Pour apples into your baking dish then sprinkle on your topping.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
My favorite way to enjoy this warm apple crisp is right out of the oven with a cold scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Store any leftovers in the fridge and reheat if desired.
Can you make this a dairy-free apple crisp?
Yes! The only dairy in this recipe is the butter used in the topping, so you can easily swap that for your favorite non-dairy butter alternatives like Earth Balance, or coconut oil.
Have you tried this gluten-free apple crisp recipe? Be sure to tag me on instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
The Best Gluten-Free Apple Crisp Recipe
- 6 Apples peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar packed
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch Tapioca Flour or Arrowroot Flour also work equally well as thickeners.
- 1 cup Gluten-Free Oats
- ¾ cup Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour Blend
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter softened & cut into small pieces
- 4 tbsp Brown Sugar packed
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, stir together apple slices, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch. Pour into a greased 8x8 square baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut in softened butter until mixture is crumbly using a pastry cutter or you can use two forks or even your hands to cut butter into the oat mixture. Sprinkle over the apples.
- Bake uncovered until bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream, or your favorite dairy-free alternative.