Check out this seasonal twist on the classic thumbprint cookie! Traditional thumbprints are usually filled with a fruit jam, but instead we made a delicious cinnamon apple filling and drizzled with icing.
These cookies are so much easier than pie, but just as sweet & satisfying! They’re a buttery, melt in your mouth, cozy treat that warms you up with the flavor of cinnamon apples. A gluten & dairy free treat perfect for the holidays or any time in between!
Cinnamon Apple Thumbprint Cookies
- 1- 3/4 cups GF flour mix(We used King Arthur Measure for Measure)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 sticks vegan butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Cinnamon Apple Filling
- 2 apples, peeled & very finely diced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp GF 1 to 1 flour(you can also use cornstarch or tapioca flour)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp plant based milk, or until thin enough to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make filling: in a shallow stove top skillet, mix apples, cinnamon, sugar, water and salt over low- med heat. Simmer until apples are softened about 10 minutes. Stir in flour and mix well until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the dough: In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and salt.
- Gradually add flour and baking powder and beat on low until combined and dough forms.
- Scoop the dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Press thumbprint into each of the balls.
- Fill each indentation with about a teaspoon of apple filling.
- Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Cool completely about 30 minutes.
- Make the icing: In small bowl, stir drizzle ingredients until smooth, if necessary, adding 1/2 teaspoon milk at a time until thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand about 15 minutes until set.
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze up to 3 months.