These Almond Flour Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins will brighten up anyone's day! They're packed with protein, loaded with fresh lemon flavor, crunchy poppy seeds, then topped with a sweet and tangy homemade lemon glaze. Perfect for a dessert, snack or lunch box treat!
Grain-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Lemon Poppy Seed is a classic, and it's one of my all time favorite flavors! This grain-free version is made with "better for you" ingredients, but still tastes incredible. They're light and fluffy, packed with protein and lots of sunshiny lemon flavor!
What ingredients do I need to make this Almond Flour Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Recipe?
Here's what you'll need:
- Almond Flour. Be sure to use a superfine almond flour.
- Eggs. You'll need 3 eggs. It may seem like a lot, but you need them to help with binding and I promise the muffins don't taste eggy at all.
- Coconut Sugar. Regular granulated sugar works fine too.
- Baking Powder
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Fresh Lemons. You'll need a couple of these!
- Poppy Seeds. You can also sub chia seeds!
For the lemon glaze, you'll need confectioners sugar and some more fresh squeezed lemon juice.
How to Make These Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Preheat the oven and prep your muffin pan by greasing.
Start by adding the wet ingredients to a mixing bowl and blend them together.
Combine the dry ingredients in a separate small bowl, then slowly add them to the wet ingredients until well combined.
Finally stir in the poppy seeds then fill the muffin cups about two-thirds full with batter. Bake until golden brown about 20-25 minutes.
Homemade Lemon Glaze
Making the lemon glaze for these muffins is completely optional. They're bursting with flavor on their own, but I would highly recommend you go all out and add the glaze, especially if serving them for dessert. It takes literally 2 minutes to combine the confectioners sugar and lemon juice, and it really takes these muffins to the next level!
If you make this recipe be sure to tag me on Instagram @thrivingglutenfree so I can see how it turned out!
Get your muffin pan ready and let's bake!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 Eggs
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice about 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil melted
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Poppy Seeds can sub chia seeds!
Lemon Glaze- Optional, but I think it's necessary 😉
- 1 cup Confectioner's Sugar
- 2-3 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Add the wet ingredients to a mixing bowl and blend well.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Mix until well combined, but do not over mix.
- Stir in the poppyseeds
- Grease muffin tin and fill two-thirds with batter.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. If making mini muffins, shorten the cooking time to about 12-14 minutes.
- Let cool, then drizzle with lemon glaze.
- In a small bowl combine sugar and lemon juice. Stir until smooth.
- To thin the glaze, add more lemon juice until desired consistency is reached. To thicken, add more sugar.